Carrie Bickmore made a brief comeback to the airwaves on Monday, after taking a week off to recover from illness, which came weeks after a gruesome head injury.
But what was meant to be fully-fledged return to work quickly turned into a “one night only” special appearance on her radio show alongside Tommy Little, as the 45-year-old revealed she’ll be taking more time off amid new health fears.
Bickmore told listeners she went to an Ear, Nose, Throat (ENT) specialist earlier today and was warned her vocal chords are “in a very bad way”.
Fighting back emotions, she shared that she’s stepping back now to sort out the issue in the hopes of avoiding permanent damage and losing a job she “really loves”.
“I am back! But this is like a ‘one night only’ special, I’m only back for today,” Bickmore said on Hit Network’s Carrie and Tommy.
“My voice hasn’t been right for some time. I went to the ENT [doctor] this morning and it’s in a very bad way … as you can hear!
“Things are not good, so I’m going to have to take some time off work to get it fixed. If I don’t get it fixed now, [my vocal cords] will be permanently damaged, which will be very unfortunate for my job.”
READ MORE: Kylie Minogue recalls Michael Hutchence relationship
READ MORE: Richie Sambora and Heather Locklear reunite for daughter
READ MORE: Adam Driver breaks his silence on co-star’s shocking memoir allegations
As her co-host wished her a speedy recovery, Bickmore fought back tears, vowing to “be back”.
“It’s making me upset,” she admitted after a pause.
“I’ll be fine, sorry … I don’t know why it’s making me so upset. I just don’t like letting people down and I don’t like letting myself down.
“I also really love my job and don’t want to be forced not to never do it again! I’m taking a little bit of time off to get it fixed. I’m hoping that if I get onto it now, it will be a non-permanent thing.”
Little said he, along with their listeners, wanted the presenter “at full strength”.
“We just want you healthy and back to 100 per cent, Carrie,” he said.
The Hot Hits co-host Loren Barry had been filling in with Little while Bickmore was off.
While Bickmore had been under the weather last week, she still enjoyed a weekend in Sydney sharing a few photos with fans on social media.
“A bit of this, a bit of that, from a weekend well spent,” she captioned the post, uploaded hours before her specialist appointment.
She also shared a close up photo of the healing scar on her forehead in an update for fans.
For a daily dose of 9honey, subscribe to our newsletter here.
The popular media personality walked “into the corner of a wall” in late April, resulting in a deep gash that hit a nerve and left “blood spurting from [her] head”.
Bickmore said it was “healing terribly” after the wound was glued together so she could go on a family holiday the next day and ultimately needed stitches.
“Now gotta have it fixed properly by a plastic surgeon. Scars are hot yeh?” she wrote.
It’s not known when Bickmore will next return to the airwaves.
FOLLOW US ON WHATSAPP HERE: Stay across all the latest in celebrity, lifestyle and opinion via our WhatsApp channel. No comments, no algorithm and nobody can see your private details.














