Why Mark Cuban Says He Rejected Kamala Harris’ VP Offer Ahead of the 2024 Election
This security detail is no longer so secret.
President Donald Trump has revoked former Vice President Kamala Harris’ Secret Service detail, a senior adviser to Harris told NBC News on August 29.
“The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service,” the adviser shared, “for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety.”
Though vice presidents usually only get six months of protection when they leave office—compared to presidents and their spouses who get it for life—former President Joe Biden signed an executive memorandum in January which extended Harris’ protection from what would have been July 21 to an 18-month period. However, the 82-year-old’s order had never been made public until now.
In an August 28 letter titled Memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security” and obtained by CNN, Trump wrote, “You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris.”
E! News reached out to the White House for comment but has not yet heard back.