Sunburst Viral- Latest News on Celebrities, gossip, TV,  music and movies
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Featured News
  • Celebrity
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Gossips
  • TV
  • Comics
  • Books
  • Gaming
  • Home
  • Featured News
  • Celebrity
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Gossips
  • TV
  • Comics
  • Books
  • Gaming
No Result
View All Result
Sunburst Viral- Latest News on Celebrities, gossip, TV,  music and movies
No Result
View All Result

Princess Anne’s Kidnapping Attempt: Suspect Ian Ball’s Arrest and More

by Sunburst Viral
4 weeks ago
in Celebrity
0
Home Celebrity
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Princess Anne is widely known as the hardest-working royal, but she also proved she has nerves of steel during a 1974 kidnapping attempt.

“I kept saying I didn’t want to get out of the car, and I was not going to get out of the car,” Anne reportedly explained to law enforcement, according to Smithsonian Magazine. She also told police that her conversation with the attempted kidnapper was “very irritating.”

The suspect, Ian Ball, was arrested following the incident. He pleaded guilty to attempted murder and kidnapping charges and was sentenced to life in a mental health facility. He is currently detained at Broadmoor Hospital, a high-security psychiatric hospital. However, Ball still maintains that he was not involved.

“I’m an innocent, sane man because I had good reason to believe the gunpowder had been taken out of the bullets and another girl had been substituted for Princess Anne,” he told the Daily Mail in August 2025.

Keep scrolling to look back at Anne’s attempted kidnapping:

Was Princess Anne Kidnapped?

On the evening of March 20, 1974, Anne and her then-husband, Mark Phillips, were heading back to Buckingham Palace after a charity event when a Ford Escort overtook their car and forced them to a stop.

The driver of the Escort, Ball, jumped out of the vehicle and began firing shots from a pistol. When Ball, who also shot Anne’s chauffeur, Alex Callender, and Brian McConnell, a nearby Daily Mail journalist who tried to intervene, ordered the princess to exit the vehicle, Anne famously replied, “[Not] bloody likely.”

Who Is James Beaton?

Beaton was Anne’s personal police officer at the time. He was shot three times during the altercation.

“He went bang bang, and he shot me in the chest,” Beaton recalled in a March 2024 statement to the BBC. “I tried to fire back at him with my gun. I missed the first shot and then the gun jammed.”

Beaton was also shot in the hand and the abdomen while trying to protect the princess.

“I’ve still got a bit of bullet lodged in the hand,” the now-retired inspector told the BBC.

Who Else Was on the Scene?

Police Constable Michael Hills, who was patrolling nearby at the time of the attack, was the first to arrive on the scene. Ball shot him in the stomach, but Hills still managed to call for backup before he collapsed.

Former boxer Ron Russell also happened to be in the area at the time and witnessed Hills getting shot.

“I pulled over and heard a lot of banging and smashing, which I thought was the general rumpus. But then Ball shot a policeman, and I thought, ‘That’s a liberty, he needs sorting,’” Russell told the Eastern Daily Press in 2006.

Russell said he then hit Ball once in the back of the head and once “fair and square” on the chin. “He went down and police were everywhere,” he recalled.

Princess Anne Kidnapping Attempt
Samir Hussein/WireImage

What Happened to Ian Ball?

After the attempted kidnapping, police found two pairs of handcuffs and a ransom letter addressed to Queen Elizabeth II in Ball’s rented car. He told the Daily Mail in August 2025 that the attempted kidnapping was meant to be “a hoax.” Ball also claimed that he was “more scared than she was.”

According to The Guardian, Ball’s plan was to hold Anne ransom for £3 million and give the money to the National Health Service for the treatment of psychiatric patients. During a 1980 appearance on the British talk show Parkinson, Anne recalled being “scrupulously polite” to Ball until he ripped her dress.

“I thought it was silly to be too rude at that stage,” she explained. “The back of my dress split and that was his most dangerous moment. I lost my rag at that stage.”

GettyImages-2215776662 Kate middleton Prince William.jpg

Related: Royal Family Home Scandals: From Fires to Break-Ins

The Royal Family have world-class security at their disposal at all times but they’ve still endured frightening break-ins and uncontrollable fires over the years. One notorious incident took place in 1982 when an intruder bypassed Buckingham Castle’s barbed wire fences and managed to get all the way into the late Queen Elizabeth II’s bedroom before […]

What Happened After the Kidnapping Attempt?

Beaton, Hills, Callendar and McConnell were all hospitalized after the ordeal, and all recovered from their wounds. For Beaton’s defense of Anne, the queen awarded him the George Cross, which recognizes acts of extreme bravery carried out by civilians and military personnel when not in the presence of an enemy.

Thank You!

You have successfully subscribed.

Hills and Russell were awarded the George Medal, while Callender and McConnell were awarded the Queen’s Gallantry Medal.

Anne went to visit Beaton in the hospital shortly after the attack.

“When Princess Anne came to see me in hospital, it was quite funny because the staff said, ‘Come on, you must put something on. Cover up your chest and all the wounds and things,’” Beaton told the BBC in March 2024. “I said, ‘Oh, stop it.’ We just said, you know, ‘[We’re] pleased that we are all sort of still alive and kicking, so to speak.’”



Source link

Tags: AnnesarrestAttemptBallscelebrity newshollywood gossipshollywood newsIanKidnappinglatest hollywood newsPrincessSuspect
Previous Post

Kelly Osbourne declares she ‘will not be ok’ in first heart-wrenching statement on dad Ozzy’s death — read

Next Post

Liam Neeson’s Son Seemingly Supports His Dad’s Relationship With Pamela Anderson! LOOK! 

Related Posts

Taylor Swift parties with Brittany Mahomes and 5 espresso martinis in Nashville bar after Travis Kelce engagement
Celebrity

Taylor Swift parties with Brittany Mahomes and $125 espresso martinis in Nashville bar after Travis Kelce engagement

by Sunburst Viral
August 31, 2025
Aaron Taylor-Johnson’s Shaggy Red Carpet Look
Celebrity

Aaron Taylor-Johnson’s Shaggy Red Carpet Look

by Sunburst Viral
August 30, 2025
How Exes Jessica Alba & Cash Warren REALLY Feel About Each Other Moving On With Much Younger Partners!
Celebrity

How Exes Jessica Alba & Cash Warren REALLY Feel About Each Other Moving On With Much Younger Partners!

by Sunburst Viral
August 30, 2025
Princess Marie Caroline dazzles in showstopping crown and sheer lace dress for her wedding
Celebrity

Princess Marie Caroline dazzles in showstopping crown and sheer lace dress for her wedding

by Sunburst Viral
August 30, 2025
Shoppers Say These Leggings Are ‘Better Than More Expensive Versions’
Celebrity

Shoppers Say These Leggings Are ‘Better Than More Expensive Versions’

by Sunburst Viral
August 30, 2025
Next Post
Liam Neeson’s Son Seemingly Supports His Dad’s Relationship With Pamela Anderson! LOOK! 

Liam Neeson’s Son Seemingly Supports His Dad’s Relationship With Pamela Anderson! LOOK! 

GET THE FREE NEWSLETTER

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Face-Masks, Massage Guns & More

Face-Masks, Massage Guns & More

August 7, 2025
Away from the MCU, ‘Moon Lady and Satan Dinosaur’ Roars

Away from the MCU, ‘Moon Lady and Satan Dinosaur’ Roars

February 21, 2023
Sally Phillips interview: Bridget Jones and Austin star on her career and life as a mother of neurodivergent children

Sally Phillips interview: Bridget Jones and Austin star on her career and life as a mother of neurodivergent children

August 15, 2025
Joanna Gaines Previews Magnolia Network & Max Renovation Series

Joanna Gaines Previews Magnolia Network & Max Renovation Series

April 23, 2025
I’m 43 and use the same ‘mini-facial’ pore-shrinking complexion pads as Molly-Mae – here’s why I rate them

I’m 43 and use the same ‘mini-facial’ pore-shrinking complexion pads as Molly-Mae – here’s why I rate them

August 6, 2025
Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Showcases Baby Bump in Elevator Selfie

Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Showcases Baby Bump in Elevator Selfie

July 3, 2023
Devon Walker Explains Saturday Night Live Exit and What’s Next

Devon Walker Explains Saturday Night Live Exit and What’s Next

August 31, 2025
James Gunn Still ‘Working On’ Viola Davis-Led Amanda Waller Series

James Gunn Still ‘Working On’ Viola Davis-Led Amanda Waller Series

August 31, 2025
10 Best ’80s Drama TV Shows, Ranked

10 Best ’80s Drama TV Shows, Ranked

August 31, 2025
Comparing the DCU’s Top Animal Sidekicks

Comparing the DCU’s Top Animal Sidekicks

August 31, 2025
Edward Berger Directs Colin Farrell

Edward Berger Directs Colin Farrell

August 31, 2025
Taylor Swift parties with Brittany Mahomes and 5 espresso martinis in Nashville bar after Travis Kelce engagement

Taylor Swift parties with Brittany Mahomes and $125 espresso martinis in Nashville bar after Travis Kelce engagement

August 31, 2025
  • Home
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA
  • Cookie Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Contact us
SUNBURST VIRAL

Copyright © 2022 - Sunburst Viral.
Sunburst Viral is not responsible for the content of external sites.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Featured News
  • Celebrity
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Gossips
  • TV
  • Comics
  • Books
  • Gaming

Copyright © 2022 - Sunburst Viral.
Sunburst Viral is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Go to mobile version